REQUEST AN ESTIMATE
Single Ply Roofing
Single ply roofing membranes are increasingly popular in the UK, both for new build and refurbishment projects. Selecting a roofing system is always a consideration of design criteria, performance requirements and cost, and it is important to find a balance with all three.
Single Ply roofing membrane made of a synthetic plastic is ideal for a new construction or the upgrading of an existing flat roof, or to increase their working life. The ‘Flame Free’ application technology provides an ‘insurance friendly’ roofing solution without compromising on cost-efficiency of installation, or aesthetic appeal.
Single ply membranes are strong, flexible sheets composed predominately of synthetic polymers. These polymers are sealed at joints to form continuous waterproofing. When combined with insulation and continuous support, they then form complete and durable roofing systems.
Single Ply systems are resistant to weathering, chemical oxidation as well as UV radiation and t require no additional surface protection unless used for access, they are being used within ‘protected membranes’ and Green Roof Systems.
Track Record and Lifespan of Single Ply Roofing Membranes
Roofing membrane products continue to evolve, and whilst some have been around since the early 20th Century, other new products are being developed.
- PIB – Developed in the 1930s, roofs commonly have a 35+ year lifespan, however some are in existence at over 50 years old.
- TPO – Developed in the 1980s and can have a lifespan in excess of 35 years.
- TPE – A little younger but can also have a lifespan in excess of 35 years.
- EPDM – Generally has a lifespan in excess of 25 years.
- PVC – The life of these membranes can vary hugely from 20+ to 40 years.
Depending on the product, each lifespan of the membranes ranges considerably.